Wednesday 16 December 2015

TUEBINGEN (AND A TRACE OF COFFEE)

























Tuebingen (and a trace of coffee)
invades the edges of my agitated tongue
as I glide through the empty stools
of the moments gone
and the sensational waitress
picks at the tips
of those forgotten days,
the wasted breath
of political song.
I have lost something
that poems can’t define:
the warmth of my mother’s smile in the shivering moonlight,
the love of a lifetime
and the ways my young feet
ran along in the summer breezes.
But my friends (those who stand by me) I tell you 
I shall rise,
I shall rise again at Newcastle Airport
and greet the runways of Europe
with kisses fresh
with longing
for the ache of adventure,
an air hostess’s hand in mine
as I cling to the sunshine in her eyes
and the golden memories 
return
to force me to laugh again.




KEITH ARMSTRONG



What a moving poem. Hope to see you back in Tübingen in spring.
Take care, 
Love
Karin 

No comments:

Post a Comment